Hake With Chorizo and Potatoes
Paprika and chorizo flavour this simple one-pot fish dish from Galicia in Spain. You could try it with cod or haddock instead of hake if you prefer.
Servings 4 people
- 50ml olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced thinly
- 6 tsp garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 paprika
- 70g chorizo, cut into cubes
- 100g padron peppers or other tiny green peppers, sliced (or 1 large pepper, diced)
- 900g floury potatoes, scraped and halved lengthways
- 85ml dry white wine
- 300m water
- 8x100g hake portions
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a terracotta cazuela or a shallow flameproof casserole.
Add the onions and garlic and cook gently until soft.
Add the paprika and fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the chorizo sausage and green peppers and fry for another 3-4 minutes.
Stir in the potatoes, then pour in the wine and water, season with some salt and pepper and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the potatoes are just tender and the liquid has reduced a little.
Season the hake steaks well on both sides. Put them on top of the potatoes, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes, until the hake is cooked through.