Cod With Bacon, Lettuce & Peas
A good source of folate and fibre, this healthy fish supper also contains two of your five-a-day
Servings 2 People
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 2 rashers rindless smoked streaky bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 long shallot or small onion very finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 140g/5oz thick skinless cod fillets
- 140g frozen peas
- 200ml chicken stock fresh or made with ½ cube
- 2 little Gem lettuces thickly shredded
- 2 tbsp half-fat crème fraîche
- 2 thick slices crusty wholegrain bread, to serve
Heat the sunflower oil in a medium non-stick frying pan. Add the bacon, shallot or onion, and garlic. Cook gently, stirring, for 2 mins, then push to one side of the pan.
Season the cod with ground black pepper. Fry in the pan for 2 mins, then turn over. Add the peas and stock, and bring to a simmer. Cook over a medium heat for a further 2 mins, then add the lettuce and crème fraîche. Cook for a couple mins more, stirring the vegetables occasionally, until the fish is just cooked and the lettuce has wilted. Serve with bread to mop up the broth.